About Us



History

After serving in World War II, Bob Wharton graduated from Hemphill Diesel School on the GI Bill and started working at Lewis Diesel Engine Company. Fulfilling a lifelong ambition of owning his own business, Bob ventured from Lewis Diesel Engine Company in September 1958 and co-founded G&W Diesel Service. During the first two years G&W modestly operated out of its 800 sq ft block building, performing minor tune-up and repair work on GM diesel engines. In November 1960, with the business growing beyond expectations and a continual shift in service focus from minor tune-up to major diesel overhaul work, Bob bought out his partner and became the sole owner and proprietor. As G&W continued to grow over the next two decades, so did the number of Bob’s employees, including his four sons. In 1975 Bob incorporated G&W Diesel Service with himself as President and his son Bobby Jr. as Vice-President. Bobby Jr. took over the reins as president in 1987 when Bob Sr. retired. Today EVS / G&W is a diversified multistate sales and service operation with 70 plus employees within 3 divisions, serving the marine, agricultural, automotive, industrial, construction, and the fire and emergency industries. EVS / G&W has operations in Memphis, TN, Conway, AR, Olive Branch, MS and Southaven, MS. Bobby Jr. now serves as Chairman of the Board with Amanda Wharton McCain serving as President/CEO and Jerry (Buddy) McCain, Jr serving as Executive Vice-President/COO.


Bob Wharton Sr.

G&W Diesel Service, 1973

Bobby Wharton Jr.

Our fourth generation owners in training!