After serving in World War II, Bob Wharton graduated from Hemphill Diesel School on the GI Bill and started working at Lewis Diesel Engine Company. Fulfilling a lifelong ambition of owning his own business, Bob ventured from Lewis Diesel Engine Company in September 1958 and co-founded G&W Diesel Service. During the first two years G&W modestly operated out of its 800 sq ft block building, performing minor tune-up and repair work on GM diesel engines. In November 1960, with the business growing beyond expectations and a continual shift in service focus from minor tune-up to major diesel overhaul work, Bob bought out his partner and became the sole owner and proprietor. As G&W continued to grow over the next two decades, so did the number of Bob’s employees, including his four sons. In 1975 Bob incorporated G&W Diesel Service with himself as President and his son Bobby Jr. as Vice-President. Bobby Jr. took over the reins as president in 1987 when Bob Sr. retired. Today EVS / G&W is a diversified multistate sales and service operation with 70 plus employees within 3 divisions, serving the marine, agricultural, automotive, industrial, construction, and the fire and emergency industries. EVS / G&W has operations in Memphis, TN, Conway, AR, Olive Branch, MS and Southaven, MS. Bobby Jr. now serves as Executive Vice President with Amanda Wharton McCain serving as President, CEO, and Chairman of the Board, and Jerry (Buddy) McCain, Jr. serving as Executive Vice-President/COO.
Bob Wharton Sr.
G&W Diesel Service, 1973
Bobby Wharton Jr.
Our fourth generation owners in training!